Students can use any brand computer to connect to the Penn State wireless network in their room. All devices used in the residence hall room are required to connect wirelessly. Laptops, tablets and phones need to connect to the "psu" wireless network. All other devices connect to the "roomgear" wireless network but the MAC address of the device must be registered before it will connect to the roomgear network.
Minimum PC Configuration
- Processor: Intel i5 processor or higher
- Memory: 8 Gig RAM
- Hard drive: 500 Gig or 256 Gig SSD minimum
- 40 GB hard drive
- Built-in or USB wireless networking adapter: 802.11 a/g/n/ac
- Windows 10 (including all current patches)
- Symantec Antivirus Program (Free download for Faculty, Staff and Students)
Wired Ethernet ports are being phased out at UP campus. Students need to plan on using wireless for network connectivity on all their devices. Note: Not all wireless devices will work on the Penn State wireless networks.
Recommended MAC computer to run Mojava OS (latest version)
- iMac – all models from late 2012, iMac 13,1 – 18,3
- iMac Pro – all models, iMac Pro 1,1
- MacBook & MacBook Retina – all models from late 2009, MacBook 8,1 – 10,1
- MacBook Pro – all models from 2012, MacBook Pro 9,2 – 15,1
- MacBookAir – all models from 2012, MacBook Air 5,1 – 7,2
- Mac Mini – all models from 2012, Mac Mini 6,1 – 7,1
- Mac Pro – all models from 2012, Mac Pro 6,1 and from 2010-2012 Mac Pro 5,1 models with recommended Metal-capable GPU
- Which means most devices made prior to 2008 won’t be able to run it.
Additional items to bring for your computer:
- All software needed to reinstall your computer back to factory installation. Make sure you have all the activation keys for your software.
- A predetermined method of periodically backing up your system. Some students purchase and use an external hard drive for backup while others purchase a subscription based backup solution on line.
- Warranty information about your system
- A power strip with a built-in surge protector
- Computer access passwords
- Cables: Power, audio, etc.